'This Is The End' ft Michelle Lockey and Nathan Nasby

If you like extremely sad songs, this one is for you...
It's about divorce or a long term relationship breaking up, and that final moment when all the papers are signed and you're walking away, when you realise that this is it, there is nothing else and you are never going to have those good times with the person you loved so much, ever again... But you still know you have to walk away for your own sanity.
Or something like that.
I initially wrote the lyrics, without Michelle in mind as a composer, for an online songwriting group I belong to which has weekly themes to write and record to.  It's called G-YAWS - Get Your Ass Writing Songs.  Once the words were written, I asked Michelle if she'd like them and she accepted (she also belongs to the group).  She then composed the music and shared her ideas with me the next day.
After a slight bit of re-writing, the first master recording was finalised, with the whole process taking only 5 days.   Michelle herself stated that she was crying singing the last chorus.  It's awe inspiring how much emotion she puts into her work.
Another lucky break was to be able to get Nathan Nasby to sing the harmonies in the chorus - he's a very busy man and very much in demand!  By adding his voice into the chorus, we have a male and a female singing together - both sides of the same painful, bittersweet parting.  I think the final sound of the chorus duet really adds to the pathos of the whole song.

(As an aside, since I wrote this post Nathan and Michelle have together formed a duo called Blu Cedar.  They have re-recorded this song using both voices for different parts of the chorus, and have included it on their first album.  It is available here: Blu Cedar Album )
Lyrics: Amanda J Anderson
Music, instrumentation & production: Michelle Lockey
Vocals: Michelle Lockey & Nathan Nasby
LYRICS
Verse 1
Separate beds, different rooms,
Cold voices, distant memories
You and I dancing to different melodies
Verse 2
Empty words, silent talking,
Cold floors, lonely dinners,
I don't wanna to live this death anymore
I don't wanna to live this death anymore
Chorus
This is the end
The final act to break these loving chains
I can't pretend
That it won't leave a stain, my friend
This is the end
This is the end of it all
Verse 3
Hollow thoughts, aching heart,
Bitter sweet, gone forever,
I won't ever forget the love we shared
I won't ever forget our love
Chorus
This is the end
The final act to break the loving chains
I can't pretend
It won't leave a stain, my friend
This is the end
This is the end of it all
Tag
This is the end
This is the end

This is the end of it all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copyright on Cover Songs in the USA

New Album Release "Emotional Sushi"

'Why Can't You See' ft Nathan Nasby